HomeNewsForeigners Who Are To Stay In The Country For More Than 90...

Foreigners Who Are To Stay In The Country For More Than 90 Days Need A Ghana Card To Register Their Sim Cards – Telcos

Foreigners living in Ghana or plan to live in the country for the next 90 days or more will have to get themselves a Ghana card to register their sim cards.This new directive was released in a public communique to the general public by the National Communications Authority (NCA).

Dr. Ken Ashigbey, the Chief Executive Officer of the Ghana Chamber of Telecommunications, speaking on the issue of the Ghana card pointed out that the main purpose of the Ghana card was for the registration of sim cards and not for the individual or personality.

“The exercise is not just for Ghanaians; it’s for SIM cards in use in Ghana, so whether they are for calls or data, they have to be registered, and that is the regulation. It does not matter who owns the cards — all that is required is a valid Ghana Card.”
“For non-Ghanaians who are in the country for more than 90 days or visitors coming to stay for more than 90 days, they will have to acquire Ghana cards and then go through the registration exercise,” he told the Daily Graphic.

Dr. Ashigbey also revealed that talks are still ongoing on how best to cater for those who will be in the country for only a short while and would require the use of sim cards.He pointed out that persons who would be staying in the country not beyond the 90 days mark can use their valid passport or ECOWAS cards to acquire and register sim cards.

“For those who will not stay long, those who will be in the country for a short stay, which is less than 90 days, they can use their passports to register for SIM cards, as has been the norm all this while.

“We are still discussing what the best plan will be for non-Ghanaians who arrive for brief stays but who would still require SIM cards,” he added.

Latest news

Related news